Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's with all the Secrecy?

On Tuesday we all were waiting for the Senate Ways & Means budget to come out, as it had been rumored it would.  What happened?  Nothing, nothing at all.  Although I refreshed my browser every hour, nothing happened all day long.  One of my colleagues even called the committee, but they refused to divlulge the time or even date the budget would be released.

What's the big secrecy?  I thought we were now in the era of budget transparency?  In my day, when I was at the Committee -- which admittedly was a while ago -- we had a grand unveiling of the budget.  We would schedule an executive committee hearing, print up charts and graphs, invite the press, and actually present the budget.  The Ways & Means committee would actually taken questions from the press.

How about that as an idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment